home map travel tales good reads recipes

Friday, February 10, 2012

Rice Pudding {affectionately known in 2C as Arroz con Leche}

Okay, so it isn't the "next" post...

At my school we have an "International Week" where each class chooses a country to study and thinks up some activities to bring into the classroom. I chose Peru, because it's where Jeff and I will go in the summer on our honeymoon! I've had to be pretty creative with this unit... I looked up some Peruvian cuisine and found a lot of recipes for Arroz con Leche. I LOVE rice pudding, so I had to do this one {plus it's cheap to make!}. Initially I wanted it to be something the class could make together, but rice pudding has to be made on the stovetop, so I decided to turn it into graphing and Language extension activities instead.


First, we tested the dessert, and I gave each student a cut out graphic of a bowl of rice. Then we graphed it: Love it; Like it; Do not like it. I only had two kids that didn't like it! Next we will interpret the results. In Language, the students will write the recipe as a list, then do a simple "First, Next, Last" writing activity based on my retell of the procedure and a few photos I took.

I love love love this recipe, and I was rather irritated when I misplaced it and had to put it back together from memory. It's a mix of different recipes I found online. It's super easy, but a bit time consuming, so keep that in mind.
  • 1/2 cup rice

  • 1 1/2 cups water

  • Pinch of salt

  • 2-3 cinnamon sticks

  • 2 cups warmed milk {I used one can of sweetened condensed milk and filled up to the 2 cup mark using regular milk}

  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • 1 egg

  • Some vanilla
First, boil the rice with water, salt and cinnamon sticks in a pot. Lower and cook, covered, until there is no more liquid. As this works away, use a fork to mix the egg with the warm milk {so the eggs don't start to cook when you add it to the rice}. When the rice is ready, pour in the milk mixture and add the sugar. Stir constantly on the same low heat. Yep, it takes awhile. When it gets thick, add some vanilla, and stir it in well. Take the pot off the burner and it will continue to thicken as it cools.

Enjoy!

- Amanda

3 comments:

  1. great extensions and looks tasty! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok...I want to make this but am wondering about the milk. Is it 2 cups regular milk plus the can of condensed milk? Looks like that is the case but want to make sure before attempting. Thanks for all your great posts. I'm at a year round school so have a month off...and thanks to your blog have LOT's of great things I'll be using when I get back to school.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, make it! Mmm, now I want to make it again... It is just one can of sweetened condensed milk and a little extra regular milk {only two cups total}. I pour the can of milk into a large measuring cup and top it with regular milk until I reach the two cup mark. Hope that makes sense and I hope it works out! Let me know how it goes.

    I'm glad you're finding lots to use - glad I can help. Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete