home map travel tales good reads recipes

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

natural beauty routine

Alternatively called My Life as a Hippie.
Someone asked recently about some of my homemade beauty recipes, so I thought I'd share. 


hair

Shampoo + conditioner: I have been using baking soda and acv since April, but after reading more and more evidence against this method I've just started a switch to a more pH balanced method that I'm loving! With the baking soda my hair was very dry and staticky even with extra diluting - living in a very humid climate that was a concern - and I felt guilty washing more than once in a week, so the rye flour makes my hair much happier (although it takes forever to rinse out).

Aloe leave-in conditioner: equal parts 100% aloe and filtered water mixed with lavender essential oil (for scent) only after cleaning my hair (all other days I use a shower cap).

Dry shampoo: equal parts corn starch, baking soda, and cocoa powder applied with an old make up brush and brushed out with a boar bristle brush.

Hairspray: sugar + water (I don't use it often though).

body + face
Body wash: moisturizing honey body wash

Body moisturizer: I use a whipped coconut butter from a local company, Satinka Naturals, that only has four or five ingredients and is awesome (stall at Legazpi Sunday Market).

Face wash: raw local honey + bentonite clay mask every week or so at night. In the mornings I just use this sponge with water. (Though I have less than perfect skin, I'd say it's about the same or even a little better than when I was using commercial products.)

Day-time moisturizer: Desert Essence SPF 15 (a level 1 on EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetics Database – a fantastic resource for learning about products you use or want to buy).

Eye make-up remover: coconut oil

Facial oil (serum/moisturizer at night): 2/3 jojoba oil, 1/3 rosehip seed oil, tea tree oil (there are a ton of different options for this!)

+ I use a drop of rosehip seed oil on fine lines at nighttime

Deodorant: I have been using this recipe since last September and having to rebalance every now and again; I don't love it, but hey.

Mascara: Physician's Formula 100% Natural Origin Fakeout Mascara - also a level 1 on EWG. (Thanks to my mom for bringing me a tube from Canada - it's great!)

Perfume: Finn & Co Black Sand roll-on (because it's an all natural formula that is sulfate-, paraben-, formaldehyde-, phthalate-, phosphate-, and cruelty-free and smells amazing!). I love it but really want to try making my own with bergamot and jasmine; I can't seem to find jasmine here in the Philippines, though, which seems crazy since it's the national flower...

Now that it's all out there, that seems like a lot of stuff for a more simplistic routine. I'm a bit of a hippie - or crunchy, as they say now - and loving it! Transitioning can be not fun but it's totally worth it. We even just use castille soap on Mara so far - no creams or powders or anything junky. 


No comments:

Post a Comment