home map travel tales good reads recipes

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

going green

In the past few months I've been starting a bit of a natural kick.
I'm trying to buy more natural products, find products with fewer ingredients, eat healthier, etc.
It's even starting to enter my beauty routine!
{All of this doesn't mean I didn't share a bag of Nibs with my mom for lunch the other day...}

For breakfast I've been experimenting with a few "green smoothies."
These have gotten mixed reviews! haha
But I like them, so I keep chopping and mixing and trying.
glass with green smoothie
Here's the recipe I started with from Kimberly Snyder...

Glowing Green Smoothie
1 1/2 cups very cold, filtered water
6 cups spinach, chopped
5 cups organic romaine lettuce, chopped
2 stalks of organic celery
1 organic apple, cored and chopped
1 organic pear, cored and chopped
1 organic banana
1-2 Tbsp fresh organic lemon juice

Optional Ingredients

Ice cubes (the extra coldness can help newbies with the taste)
1/2 cup of cilantro
1/2 cup of parsley
{Recipe source}

Some tips if you give it a try:
I majorly cut down on the amount of ingredients to make a more individual size.
I especially cut down on the amount of celery - I find the taste way too overpowering.
And I mix in whatever is in the fridge or take away things that we don't happen to have.

Healthy eating!
- Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment