home map travel tales good reads recipes

Friday, February 1, 2013

Awesome Adjectives

We are working on descriptive writing in Grade Two right now. We've spent several lessons learning about adjectives. For ESL students with limited vocabulary, this is a ... difficult ... concept. Well, maybe not difficult as a concept, per se, but more difficult in the sense of I-just-don't-know-the-English-word-for {insert adjective in Arabic here}. At any rate, while I was in London I had my students complete a creative worksheet with my so-wonderful EA that I think really helped them.

Has anyone ever heard of Scholastic Grammar Tales?
I was lucky enough to find this set in our library so I nabbed it! It's a set of storybooks that teach grammar skills, including nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs... So the class read "The Bug Book (Adjectives)" to start thinking about what bugs might look like, feel like, be like, etc. I made a fancy sample {I'm clearly not an artist!} of the worksheet to be completed to help them out with some ideas.

Click below if you'd like the blank template for your own class!
Finally, I got a wonderful surprise from my wonderful husband yesterday:
Love him!
- Amanda

3 comments: