home map travel tales good reads recipes

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Better late than never

In teacher’s college, a lot of our in-class tasks focused on reflection. Reflection, reflection, reflection. I remember thinking, “I have far too many other things to do.” Well, as a first year teacher, I find I have been reflecting a lot. Way more than I thought I ever would, and so now, I see just how important it can be!

I love to read blogs. I find real inspiration in the blogs of other teachers, and find my own ideas blossoming into new things as a result of loooooong bits of time spent on the Internet - much to the chagrin of my other half! (Isn’t it great to use a word like “chagrin?”) So, after three months of teaching grade two and countless hours feeling thrilled and inspired by others, I thought I would start my own little collection of ideas.

Enter my second grade class. I am one of three second grade teachers at my school. My team has a great mix of level-headed organization, amazing and motivational ideas, that “must reach every student” attitude, and a realistic perspective about teaching English Language Learners. I teach 21 students at a bilingual school that teaches Ontario curriculum. I feel so lucky to be teaching my home curriculum, since there are so few opportunities to do so at home. I love the topics covered in grade two! That said, my class is tough. The culture in Kuwait is one that takes some getting used to. I have many sweet little angels, but the entire class is very privileged - can you say drivers, nannies, maids and millionaires? Needless to say, the beginning of the school year was difficult difficult lemon difficult. I have input about ten different behaviour management strategies, from individual stickers to desk group points, whole class reward days to more personal encouraging notes home in communication books. We are still working with all of these, but I feel, at least, that I am making some progress! Phew. And, on the plus side, I survived and am eager to give it another shot next year.

Finally then, the reason I’m here. Aside from there being few to no full-time contracts available in Ontario right now, I am lucky to be starting my teaching career with another amazing teacher - the person I love the most in the world and the most patient man I know. After supply teaching for nearly two years with no leads, Jeff suggested we go abroad (again - we met in Korea!). It has been a whirlwind of a time, one I am fully enjoying, one that is testing me at every turn, and one that is teaching me so so much. I love teaching and I want to keep track of all the interesting, fun, challenging, and hilarious struggles and achievements this year. Without further ado, welcome to my blog! (Now, to keep up on it…)

2 comments:

  1. Jessie just shared this with me :) Can't wait to sit down and read with with some tea. I signed up so I get the emails with new posts. Love you girl !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it my blog that you found so inspirational....awww. (I secretly suspected....but it is nice to know for sure).

    ReplyDelete